Short Story Contest Entry - Mystery at Krow Mansion by Laney Fultz


Mystery at Krow Mansion


   Dark and stormy was the night. A perfect setting for this type of story.

   It was 10:03 p.m. and I was comfortably sitting at my desk reading the newspaper when the telephone rang.

  “Who could be calling at this late hour?” I thought aloud. I walked across the room and picked up the telephone. “Hello?”

  “Hello, Ms. Kim?” This is detective Marlon Jones. I hear you specialize in mysteries?”

  “Yes, that is correct.” I answered, “Is there something you would like me to investigate detective?”

  “Well, yes,” he replied, “Unfortunately there has been a disappearance at the Krowe’s Mansion, and we would like you to look into it.”

   The Krowe’s were a wealthy family that moved here just last year from Russia. It was just Mr. and Mrs. Krow and their 21- year- old daughter who only visited occasionally. Not many people knew them, for they sent their butler, Mr. Reynolds, to run all their errands.

   “I will meet you there tomorrow afternoon at one o’clock.” I told the detective, “You can tell me the details then.”

  “Thank you, Ms. Kim, I will see you tomorrow afternoon at one o’clock.” He hung up.

   The next morning, I woke remembering the happenings of last night. I got ready, grabbed my coat and hat and walked out the door. I decided just to walk since I lived nearby. When I got to the Krowe’s Mansion I saw a man with a long black coat and badge. I suspected he was detective Jones.

  “Hello detective Jones.”

  “Hello Ms. Kim.” He replied, “Let’s go inside and sit down.” He knocked on the door, and the butler opened it.

  “Mr. Reynold? I think you are expecting us.” said detective Jones.

  “Oh! Yes, Mrs. Krow will be right down. Would you like some tea?” Mr. Reynold asked.

  “That would be lovely.” I replied. Mr. Reynold led us to the library and brought us both a cup of tea. “So, tell me what happened.” I said.

  Well, yesterday morning Mrs. Krow woke up and couldn’t find her husband. We looked everywhere but couldn’t find him anywhere.” Just then Mrs. Krow came down the spiral staircase into the library.

  “Good afternoon, have you heard anything?” she asked.

  “No, Mrs. Krow but Ms. Kim here specializes in mysteries.” Said detective Jones.

  “Do you have any clues as to where he might be?” I asked.

  “No, not that I can think of, but you can search the house for any clues or details that might help to find him.” She answered.

 She and detective Jones talked while I went to search the house. I searched the floors and walls carefully. In the office there was a wooden desk. When I opened the top drawer, many letters were revealed. I looked them over just glancing at them. They all seemed to be random letters, but they didn’t make any sense. They were almost like book reports.

September 3, 1939 Britain

And France declare war with

Nazi Germany. Over 1,000

Died when German forces sunk vessel.

Another one read:

Reader’s Digest:

October 28, 1929 Wall Street

Crash of the stock market was the

Key to the start of the Great Depression.

Why would someone write this down? I sat down thinking about it, and it suddenly hit me. If you look at the first letter of each line, it makes a word. I looked back at the first one.

SAND

Then I looked at the second.

ROCK

That was the name of the beach just down the road.

   I walked back into the library and Detective Jones and another man walked over to me. “Ms. Kim, this is detective Black.” He said. We shook hands.

  “I’m here to help with the mystery.” Said detective Black.

  “It will be much appreciated.” I replied, “I think we need to go to Sand Rock Beach.”

   As we strolled down the beach, I spotted a piece of paper like the ones I had found in the desk. I picked it up.

Minty Ave.

Yellow Ave.

Snowy Ave.

Teal Ave.

Illinois Ave.

Cranberry Ave.

  “What does that even mean?” Asked detective Black. I turned the paper over.

1486

2381

5117

9842

  “It’s just like the last clue.” I thought.

1259 Mystic Ave.

   That is the address for the old, abandoned house. “Come on! I think I know where Mr. Krow is.”

  

   We walked inside of the house, and there was Mr. Krow. “Mr. Krow!” I yelled. Out of nowhere detective Black turned and ran.

  “Stop him!” Hollered Mr. Krow. Detective Jones turned and grabbed him by his coat. “He’s the one who locked me in here,” Mr. Krow said, “He wanted money, but I wouldn’t give him any.”

   We took Mr. Krow home, and arrested detective Black.

  “Thank you so much for your help, Ms. Kim.” Said detective Jones.

  “It was no problem; I will be glad to work with you in the future.”

   Later that night, while I was sipping tea at home, I pondered the day’s events and wondered when detective Jones would be calling again for my assistance.




















A special thanks to my editor, Lucy Fultz (Mom) and to Isabella Fultz (my sister) who sat down and listened to my ideas for the story.

Comments